How to make the Delicious Matar Paneer at home
Matar paneer is a popular vegetarian dish that originates from Northern India. It is a flavorful and aromatic curry made with fresh green peas and soft cubes of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cooked in a rich and creamy tomato-based gravy. The dish is typically seasoned with a blend of spices, including cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, and red chili powder, which give it a warm and savory flavor.
Matar paneer is a staple in many Indian households and is often served on special occasions and festivals. It is a comforting and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed with rice or Indian bread, such as naan or roti.
The dish is relatively easy to prepare and can be made in a variety of ways. Some variations include adding other vegetables, such as potatoes or bell peppers, or using different types of cheese, such as tofu or halloumi, in place of paneer. Regardless of the variation, matar paneer remains a beloved and delicious dish in Indian cuisine.
Recipe of Delicious Matar Paneer :
Here’s the recipe of delicious matar paneer :
- 200g paneer
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Cut the paneer into small cubes and soak them in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they start to sputter, add chopped onions and green chilies. Saute until the onions become translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and saute for a minute. Then, add chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and red chili powder. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add fresh green peas and stir for a minute.
- Drain the water from the soaked paneer cubes and add them to the pan. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and pour cream or milk. Stir well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or Indian bread.
Read More : How to make Chocolate Chip Cookies at Home
Variations of Matar Paneer :
Matar paneer is a versatile dish that can be prepared in a variety of ways to suit different tastes and preferences. Here are some popular variations of this classic Indian dish:
- Aloo Matar Paneer: This version includes diced potatoes along with the paneer and green peas. The potatoes are cooked with the spices and tomato-based gravy until they are tender and flavorful.
- Methi Matar Paneer: In this variation, fenugreek leaves (methi) are added to the dish, giving it a unique and slightly bitter taste. The fenugreek leaves are sautéed with onions and spices before the peas and paneer are added.
- Palak Matar Paneer: This version of matar paneer includes spinach (palak) in addition to the green peas and paneer. The spinach is pureed and added to the tomato-based gravy, giving it a vibrant green color and a boost of nutrition.
- Shahi Matar Paneer: This is a richer and more indulgent version of the dish, with the addition of cream and cashew paste to the tomato-based gravy. It is often served on special occasions and celebrations.
- Tofu Matar Paneer: For those who prefer a vegan or lactose-free version of the dish, tofu can be substituted for the paneer. This variation is just as delicious and flavorful as the traditional version, but with a slightly different texture.
- Paneer Makhani: This variation is also known as butter paneer or paneer butter masala, and is similar to matar paneer but without the green peas. The dish is rich and creamy, with the paneer cubes cooked in a tomato-based gravy that is flavored with butter and cream.
Read More : How to Make Delicious Poha Recipe at home
Tips of Making Matar Paneer :
If you are planning to make matar paneer, here are some tips to help you create a delicious and authentic dish:
- Use fresh ingredients: To get the best flavor, use fresh green peas and paneer. You can also make your own paneer at home using milk and lemon juice.
- Fry the paneer: Before adding the paneer to the curry, fry it in some oil until it is golden brown. This will give it a crispy exterior and add more texture to the dish.
- Blend the tomatoes: To get a smooth and creamy tomato-based gravy, blend the tomatoes in a blender or food processor before adding them to the curry.
- Roast the spices: Roasting the spices before adding them to the dish will bring out their flavors and add depth to the curry. Heat them in a dry pan until fragrant, then grind them into a powder.
- Add cream: For a richer and creamier curry, add a few tablespoons of heavy cream or yogurt towards the end of the cooking process.
- Adjust the spices: Taste the curry as you go and adjust the amount of spices according to your preference. Remember, you can always add more but you can’t take away.
- Serve hot: Matar paneer is best served hot, straight from the stove. Garnish it with fresh cilantro and serve it with rice or Indian bread.
Read More : Easy & Delicious Grilled chicken sandwiches Recipe
Q: What is Matar Paneer?
A: Matar paneer is a popular vegetarian dish from Northern India. It is made with green peas and soft cubes of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cooked in a rich and creamy tomato-based gravy.
Q: What are the key ingredients in Matar Paneer?
A: The key ingredients in Matar Paneer include green peas, paneer, tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, and red chili powder.
Q: Is Matar Paneer vegan?
A: No, Matar Paneer is not vegan as it contains paneer, which is a dairy product. However, you can make a vegan version of the dish by using tofu or another vegan cheese in place of paneer.
Q: Can I use frozen peas for Matar Paneer?
A: Yes, you can use frozen peas for Matar Paneer. Just make sure to thaw them before adding them to the curry.
Q: How do I make my own paneer for Matar Paneer?
A: To make paneer at home, heat milk in a pot until it comes to a boil. Add lemon juice or vinegar and stir until the milk curdles. Strain the curdled milk through a cheesecloth and press out any excess water. Let the paneer cool and then cut it into cubes for the curry.
Q: Can I make Matar Paneer ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make Matar Paneer ahead of time and store it in the fridge for a few days. Just reheat it before serving.
Q: What is the best way to serve Matar Paneer?
A: Matar Paneer is typically served with rice or Indian bread, such as naan or roti. Garnish it with fresh cilantro and serve it hot.
Matar Paneer is a delicious and flavorful vegetarian dish that is popular in Northern India. Made with green peas and paneer cooked in a creamy tomato-based gravy, it is a comforting and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed on any occasion. With the right ingredients and preparation techniques, it is easy to make a tasty and authentic Matar Paneer at home.